CEO of You, Inc. Own Your Career!
Get practical, relevant & easy to implement ideas to help you manage your career.
Just starting out (i.e., recent college/university graduates)?
- Stick to the basics:
- Prepare a resume/CV – ideally 1 page, but not longer than 2
- Make sure to quantify how and what you contributed in each job, internship and/or volunteer position. Just listing tasks is not enough
- Write cover letters that highlight skills, accomplishments or experiences that are relevant to the roles to which you are applying
- Explain in your cover letter how you heard about the job, and include the name(s) of any current employee(s) you know
- Follow the company’s application process (i.e. apply on-line if it is required)
- Network, Network, Network to get connected with someone in Recruiting/Staffing/Talent Acquisition and/or Hiring Managers
Still exploring options (i.e., early to mid-career professionals)?
- Keep it simple; excel first and then:
- Stay on top of your career development plan
- Update your resume/CV – ideally no longer than 2 pages
- Develop list of targeted companies or industries
- Be mobile and flexible
- Consider lateral moves, not just vertical ones
- Share success stories before you need to for a job
- Maintain a commitment to continuous learning
- Nurture relationship(s) with your mentor(s)
- Seek entrepreneurial opportunities (getting things done, despite obstacles)
- Make time to give back & help others
Ready to lead or manage (i.e., seasoned professionals)?
- Ensure your value is known across the organization – maintain high performance:
- Take on projects and deliver results under budget & ahead of time
- Mentor high potential employees
- Make sure your mentor(s) can talk about your value
- Stay current on business objectives and trends
- Share insights and solutions, not just problems
- Align with company values
- Maintain awareness of opportunities in the marketplace
- Publish articles on areas of expertise and experience
If you wish to exchange thoughts on any of the aforementioned topics/suggestions feel free to post a question on Terex’s Facebook or LinkedIn page. Address your questions or comments to the Director of Global Talent Acquisition.